How can I opt out of my data being shared via the GM Care Record?
THIS INFORMATION ON OPTING OUT OF THE GM CARE RECORD CAN ALSO BE DOWNLOADED AT THIS LINK.
The Greater Manchester Care Record (GMCR) is used by health and care professionals to make sure you receive the best possible treatment and care.
An anonymised view of the data is also used to support important research and the planning of health and care services.
The information below explains how you can opt out of your information being included in the GMCR to support your care and treatment, or how you can opt out of your anonymised data being using for planning and research.
Benefits of sharing your care records
The Greater Manchester Care Record allows health and care staff to see more up to date limited information regarding your health and care history. It includes vital information such as allergies, medication, test results, and any interventions you may be receiving, or have had in the past.
When staff are more informed, it helps them to make the right decisions quickly, providing better, safer care. This is especially important during emergency situations or out of normal working hours. Only staff involved in your care, and who have a legitimate reason are allowed to view your records.
It is your choice to be part of the Greater Manchester Care Record. Everyone registered with a Greater Manchester GP is automatically opted-in to limited information from their health and care records being accessible via the Greater Manchester Care Record unless they have previously opted out of sharing their GP records.
If you are happy for your records to be available, you don’t need to take any action.
The implication of not having a GM Care Record
You have the right to opt out of having a shared care record. However, we want anyone who does opt out, to understand that it could negatively impact the care the NHS and social care services can provide. If health and care staff can’t access your medical record:
- It might mean that tests or investigations are repeated because results from other organisations can’t be accessed.
- You may need to repeat the same information to different staff.
- The staff treating you won’t be able to see what has happened to you in different parts of the NHS. They will only be able to see the record in their organisation such as that particular hospital or GP practice.
- They might not know what medication you are taking.
- It may delay treatment.
- It will not stop health and care staff contacting one another to ask questions about your history.
- You may not be conscious or able to share details about your medical history if you arrive at hospital.
How to opt out of your data being included within the GM Care Record
Contact your GP who can discuss the option with you and can apply a code to your GP record to prevent a shared care record being created for you. You can opt back in at any time by informing your GP.
How to opt out of your data being used for planning and research
The GM Care Record has been created to ensure you receive tailored, individual care and treatment but we also create an anonymised view of your data to allow us to plan health and care services and carry out vital research to improve patient care through the development of new drugs and treatments.
You can still have a shared care record to support your treatment and care, but you can opt out of your data being used for planning and research in 2 ways:
1. Stop your GP practice from sharing your data for planning and research
This is called a Type 1 Opt-Out.
- To do this you need to fill in an opt-out form and return it to your GP practice. Either Download a Type 1 Opt-out form, or contact your GP surgery who may be able to assist you to complete the form on the telephone or may be able to provide you with a printed copy.
- Only your GP surgery can process your opt-out form. They will be able to tell you if, and when, you have been opted out.
If you choose a Type 1 Opt-out, your GP will not share your data for research and planning but your data will still be used to support your direct care.
Find out more about Type 1 Opt-out from NHS Digital’s transparency notice
Once the Type 1 Opt-Out has been applied by your General Practice the GM Care Record system will acknowledge this Opt-Out and automatically remove your record from further processing for planning and research purposes.
2. Stop NHS Digital and other health and care organisations from sharing your data for planning and research
This is called a National Data Opt-Out.
To opt out online or find out more, visit Make your choice or contact the NHS Digital Contact Centre by ringing 0300 303 5678.
If you choose this opt-out, NHS Digital and other health and care organisations will not be able to share any of your personal data with other organisations for research and planning, except in certain situations. For example, when required by law.
You can opt out, or opt back in again, at any time.
Right to Object under data protection law
Under data protection law e.g., the UK GDPR you have the right to object to the use of your data in certain circumstances and to have your objection considered. More information can be found on the Information Commissioner’s website here.